Home Security Systems Roswell
You’ve spent so much time making your house a home, so why not ensure it’s safety?
Today’s burglary statistics are startling. A home security system is a great way to keep your home safe. It can offer you greater peace of mind and make your home safer.
But with so many alarm companies, how do you choose the right one for you?
It is not necessary to choose the most expensive home security system, because price does not ensure better security than other cheaper options. Just pick one that’s affordable, reliable, and meets your security needs.
Consider these factors when making your choice.
- Price: Security systems usually have an upfront cost and monthly fee. Some companies don’t charge upfront, but include the cost of equipment in the monthly bill. Others will ask you to buy the equipment upfront. Advanced systems are naturally more expensive.
When choosing a home security system, know your budget. Think about how much you can spend upfront. Then, think about how much you can spend monthly.
Once you’ve worked out your budget, you’ll know which systems you can afford and what will work best for you.
Tip: No one wants an intruder to enter their home and put their belongings and loved ones at risk. However, DO NOT pick a system you can’t afford due to the popular myth that a more expensive system is a better system.
- Monitoring connection: When the alarm triggers, the security system sends out a signal. The signal goes to the Monitoring Center, who then calls the local authorities.
There are three types of monitoring:
Landline monitoring is when the system sends a signal with your landline phone.
Wireless monitoring is when the system uses cellular connections.
Broadband is when the system uses your high speed internet connection.
Now you’re thinking, which one is best for me? Landline monitoring is the cheapest, however, burglars can disable it by cutting the cord before breaking into your home. Wireless is more expensive, but it is more secure due to the fact that thieves can’t interrupt the signal in any way.
Did you know? A burglary occurs every 15 seconds. The average loss for homeowners is $2,230.
- Contract period: Most home security systems require you to sign a contract. The contract can range from 3-5 years, which can be expensive. You may end your service early, but you may have to pay a termination fee.
Think of how long you can afford your monthly subscription. Keep in mind some companies have a shorter contract period. Other companies have no contract at all.
Talk to the company you are considering, and discuss this contract period.
Note: Some security companies have a trial period for their product. If you don’t cancel before it ends, you might have to pay a penalty. This can be very expensive!
Some companies also don’t offer refunds on equipment. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions before trying out their product.
Ask about how equipment is installed, how much it costs, when you have to pay for it, and what would happen if you cancelled your service.
- Home automation: Some companies offer home automation. This lets you control certain devices from your smartphone or tablet. You can control things such as: your security system, music, thermostat, lights and locks. This gives the impression that somebody’s home, even if you are out. This comes in handy when you decide you want to travel and ensure your house’s safety even further than an alarm system. You can turn lights on and off at the touch of a button to make people think that you are home.
Getting a home security system is a big investment. Ask yourself these questions before investing in one.
- Is anyone home during the day? About 60% of burglaries happen in the day, when no one is home. If your home is empty for long periods during the day, you should invest in a security system.
- Do you have valuables? Burglars typically head straight to the master bedroom to look for valuables. They’re looking for cash, jewelry, medications, portable safes, expensive electronics, and guns. A flashy car also increases the risk of someone breaking in.
If you have any of these in your home or a nice car in the driveway, then it’s a good idea to protect them.
- What kind of area do you live in? If you live in an area with a higher crime rate, then a security system is important for your home. Here are some areas for you to pay attention to that are typical spots for burglars to lurk:
- Low traffic areas: Areas with low traffic are high-risk. Places like alleys and spaces between houses are often empty. Burglars like to break in from here.
- Neighborhoods with foreclosures: Fewer people means it’s harder to spot a burglar. This makes it easier for a burglar to break into your home.
- New neighborhoods: Burglars count on the fact that nobody knows each other. People are less likely to notice when there’s a break-in.
- Wealthy neighborhoods: If you live in a wealthy area, burglars will likely target you. They assume you have more valuables in your home due to the value of the neighborhood that you live in.
Do you need disaster monitoring as well? Many home security systems monitor for fire, smoke, and carbon monoxide. They’ll contact the authorities right away if there’s an emergency. A quick response can limit your losses!